- decision-making personnel in large & mid-sized corporations in their role as Tech Seeker and
- those specific SBIR-STTR awardees identified as having the skill-sets and capabilities most relevant to the particular task(s) to hand
Collectively, the SBIR Community is arguably the largest single concentration of technical talent. The data routinely compiled by idi for this site and other analytical uses shows clearly that large numbers of Tech Seekers across a broad range of industry segments are actively engaged with an important segment of SBIR-involved firm - see Tech Partnering stats.
HOWEVER, the sheer scale, extent, distribution and diversity of that talent pool - some 5500 currently active awardees, 500-600 new-entry annually - to include many early-stage, very young firms - can present a daunting challenge.
Are they any good? What types of relationship make sense
Consistent with the SBIR emphasis on funded projects proceeding to "Phase III" but also grounded in years of actual tech-transfer experience, the effectiveness of the ASSET system - the pro-active, needs-driven approach supported by this site is anchored in a very different set of assumptions re. how technology achieves use-condition.
Effective engagement by Tech Seekers of demonstrated talent of small firms active in this very important technology development program
- is NOT achieved by simply showcasing the outcome of each award at events offered periodically nor even about featuring the achievement of awardees on a case-by-case basis on websites etc.
- but is instead far more usefully enabled
- y focusing on the needs of the Tech Seekers
- and on addressing SBIR collectively - the equivalent of a massively distributed R&D facility to be monitored, tracked and engaged across the full range of its diversity.
To that end - and in equally strong contrast to the prevailing notion of Crowd-Sourcing - ASSETs is all about Expertise Precision Sourcing (ExPreS). It is about providing for small and large firms alike the powerful tools and the diversity of opportunity to enable systematic and sustainable working relationships.