News Article

ViaSat wins $34 million contract
Date: Sep 18, 2012
Author: Nathan Max
Source: UT San Diego ( click here to go to the source)

Featured firm in this article: ViaSat Inc of Carlsbad, CA

CARLSBAD — Carlsbad-based ViaSat has won a $34 million government contract to further develop and produce a special communications systems used by multiple branches of the U.S. military, the Defense Department announced.

The Multifunctional Information Distribution System-Low Volume Terminal has provided secure, high capacity, jam resistant, digital data and voice communications capability for the Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Army and other foreign users throughout the world. The contract calls for a new cryptographic module that, when completed, will replace the existing communication security and transmission security hardware and extend the life of the MIDS-LVT product line.

The project is scheduled to be completed by October 2014, and 30 percent of the work will be completed in Carlsbad. The other 70 percent of the project will be performed at various other sites worldwide.